1712 is a Flemish helpline for everyone with a question about violence, abuse and child abuse.

1712 is a cooperation between the Centra Algemeen Welzijnswerk (CAW) or General welfare centres and the Vertrouwenscentra Kindermishandeling or Trust centres for Child Abuse. Professional counsellors of the CAW and the Vertrouwenscentra Kindermishandeling offer help by telephone and online.

Urgent assistance

If you need urgent assistance, call 101 for urgent police assistance or 112 for urgent medical assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of service does 1712 offer?

We take the time to listen to your story.

We provide information and advice.

Together, we assess the risks and discuss the steps you can take.

We can refer you to a General welfare centre, a Trust centre for Child Abuse or another service in Flanders or Brussels.

We leave the decision to you unless you’re in danger, or the person on whose behalf you’re calling is. In this case, we’ll take action.

1712 is a helpline. We’re not a helpdesk or hotline where you can report (suspected) violence. We discuss with the caller or explain the steps to take in case of violence.

1712 is not an emergency number. If you need urgent assistance, call 101 for urgent police assistance or 112 for urgent medical assistance.

Who is 1712 for?

1712 is for you: child, teenager, adult or elderly person. 1712 is for any question about any form of violence or (child) abuse. Not only physical violence. Also psychological (or emotional), financial or sexual violence.

1712 is for everybody: victims, witnesses of violence or people who commit violence. You don’t have to say who you are. You don’t have to reveal your identity.

Helpline 1712 is for citizens. Professionals can contact other services, for example a Trust centre for Child Abuse (Vetrouwenscentrum Kindermishandeling) if they suspect child abuse.

Who listens to my story?

Helpline 1712 is staffed by professionals from the General welfare centre (Centra Algemeen Welzijnswerk) and the Trust centre for Child Abuse (Vertrouwenscentra Kindermishandeling). They listen to your story, questions or doubts. They give you information or refer you to the most appropriate help.

Who do I contact if 1712 is closed?

If you want to talk when 1712 is closed, you can call a volunteer of Tele-Onthaal at number 106. Tele-Onthaal is available 24/7, and is free of charge and anonymous.

If you need urgent assistance, call 101 for urgent police assistance or 112 for urgent medical assistance.

Can I also visit 1712?

You cannot visit 1712. 1712 is a telephone and online helpline. However, you can contact 1712 to discuss which service you can go to, for example a local General welfare centre (Centrum Algemeen Welzijnswerk).

I cannot reach 1712. What can I do?

If you cannot contact us by phone or chat, leave a message on our answering machine. Or send an email with your phone number so we can call you back.

If you want to talk to someone outside our opening hours, you can also contact the volunteers of Tele-Onthaal at number 106 (www.tele-onthaal.be). They’re available 24/7, and also work for free and anonymously.

I received no response to my mail.

We answer within two working days. If you don’t receive an answer, it may be that you have not entered the correct email address in the mail form on our website. It’s also possible that our answer ended up in your 'junk mail' or 'spam' folder.

Which other organisations can I go to?

In Flanders and Brussels, several organisations can help you with questions about violence, abuse and child abuse. 1712 will discuss with you to find out which organisation you can go to for assistance, what you feel comfortable with and what you can expect from this organisation. This page provides an overview of some of the organisations you can visit.

What about my privacy?

1712 values your privacy. You can contact 1712 anonymously. You don’t have to say your name if you don’t want to. Your phone bill will not specify 1712. Our professional counsellors cannot see your phone number when you call us.

1712 values your privacy and the protection of your personal data, for example when you email us.

All 1712 counsellors have to respect the duty of confidentiality. Every professional will treat the confidential information you provide correctly.

Read more about this in our privacy statement.

I am (not) satisfied.

We believe it’s important to improve our services. Tell us if you’re satisfied with our services. Or tell us if you’re not.

Counselling involves people. Often things go well and sometimes things go wrong. We need to know how we can improve our assistance.

If possible, first discuss your dissatisfaction with a 1712 counsellor. Sometimes the problem can be solved by talking about it.

Do you find this difficult or do you feel the problem hasn’t been solved? Then you can file a complaint by submitting this complaint form.